You can use the Lesson Builder tool to create a resource with both instructor and student facing views. This means that instructors can view the resource that is customized for instruction, and students can view the resource that is customized for their learning needs. The Lesson Builder is designed for students between kindergarten to grade 12.
When you create a resource in Lesson Builder, you are able to include overviews and pedagogical supporting text for both instructions and students. The Lesson Builder can consist of sequenced tasks, in which you incorporate a step-by-step approach to instruction and learning. Each task can have associated resources available for download.
- Level-specific descriptive information - describe your resource emphasizing higher education subjects and content.
- Remix and customize - you can remix and reorder the modules to meet the needs of your students.
- Robust editing tools - you can create tables, add links and format resources.
Start Building your Lesson
- To create a resource on SHMS create an account or log in .
- Select Create at the top of your screen
- Click Start Authoring in the Open Author tile.
Stages to create a resource in Lesson Builder
There are two stages to creating an educational resource in Lesson Builder: Module Details and Describe.
Lesson Details is where you enter a title, provide an overview, include materials, add resources, and insert step-by-step tasks.
- Enter a name for your lesson.
- Upload an image from your computer or the web to display as the opening image for the module.
- Provide an overview of the topic.
Prepare Instructor-facing content
- Teacher Overview - This is an overview of the lesson for the instructor who will be teaching.
- Teacher Materials - These are the components the instructor needs in order to teacher the lesson. In this filed you can upload content such as images, charts, mathematical formulas, link to external sites, and more.
- Teacher lesson preparation - Here you can provide instructions on how instructor is to prepare for the class.
Add Student facing content: Resources
Click the Add Resource button to include material from an external source.
- Enter a title for the resource.
- Upload a file from your computer.
- Enter a URL from the web.
- Click the Add Resource again to add another resource, or simply save and continue.
Create tasks for the students to complete
Click the Add a Task button to create sequential steps for both instructional and student views.
- Select the type of task this will be: Closing, Homework, Opening, Work Time, Formative Assessment, or Performance task.
- Enter a Task Name.
- Include a Teacher Description under Step 1. This is viewable by the instructor only.
- Enter a Title. This title is viewable by students.
- Enter Student Content that is viewable by students.
- Click the Add Resource button to upload a resource that is downloadable by students.
- Click the Add Step button to create the next step, or simply save and continue.
Save and preview your module
Click the Save button once you have added a task, a new resource, or at any time during the process to ensure your work is being saved.
Click any of the three preview buttons to view how the module will be presented. Once published,
- On SHMS shows you what your resource will look like to you and other users on SHMS.
- In Class view is intended to be a teacher-facing view of the resource for mobile viewing.
- Student button shows you what the resource looks like to students, if you send them a link to the student view of this resource.
Once you have added all resources and tasks you can move to the Describe and Publish step.