Achieve has developed a series of rubrics for this tool to help gauge various aspects of quality, allowing an additional filter for sorting and another way to discover OER. These kinds of ratings are essential, especially for states and districts looking to recommend specific OER to their teachers.
Achieve is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit education reform organization dedicated to working with states to raise academic standards and graduation requirements. Achieve partnered with ISKME to develop an online evaluation tool to allow you to apply these rubrics and evaluate the quality of instructional resources. This tool is now available on SHMS.
You can use the Achieve OER Rubrics to evaluate resources based on:
- Rubric I: Degree of Alignment to Standards
- Rubric II: Quality of Explanation of Content
- Rubric III: Utility of Materials as Tools to Teach Others
- Rubric IV: Quality of Assessment
- Rubric V: Degree of Interactivity
- Rubric VI: Quality of Practice Exercises
- Rubric VII: Opportunities for Deeper Learning
- Login to SHMS.
- Search for a resource for which you would like to evaluate.
- Click the Evaluate link from the snapshot view of the resource.
- Read the text provided by SHMS on Guidelines and Reminders.
- Click the Start Evaluating button.
Evaluating each of the parts using the rubrics
You should apply the rubric independently to the smallest meaningful unit of a resource or to each OER object as it appears in SHMS.
The rubrics’ common scoring scale describes the predicted level of quality based on a five point scoring system:
Object is superior - 3
Object is strong - 2
Object is limited - 1
Object is very weak in that specific area quality - 0
When a particular rubric does not apply to the object being rated - N/A
- Rubric I: Degree of Alignment to Standards:
- If appropriate, add a Common Core Standard. This step is optional if there are already standards that have been added.
- If this resource does not align to a Common Core standard, this section can be skipped.
- Rate the Degree of Alignment to the Common Core State Standard that is highlighted in yellow. Mouse over each score for a detailed description
- If there is more than one standard, you may rate that standard by clicking on the Next standard button.
- Click the Save & Go to Next Rubric button when you are ready to rate the next rubric.
- Continue rating the resource on each rubric.
- Rubric II - Quality of Explanation of the Subject Matter
- Rubric III - Utility of Materials Designed to Support Teaching
- Rubric IV - Quality of Assessments
- Rubric V - Quality of Technological Interactivity
- Rubric VI - Quality of Instructional and Practice Exercises
- Rubric VII - Opportunities for Deeper Learning
Finalize your Score
- Click the Save and View Results button once you have completed rating the resource.
- Review the results you have inputted.
- You may choose to: Revise your score by clicking the Go Back and Change Your Scores button.
- Click the Finalize OER Review button once you have satisfied with your ratings.
The average scores of everyone who has evaluated the resource appears on the snapshot view page.
Providing feedback on an educational resource
Applying a star rating to an educational resource
Aligning resources to Standards